Cayo Coco, Ciego de Ávila
Cayo Coco is the fourth island in size in the Cuban archipelago. With 370 sq. km., it is located on the Atlantic coast of Cuba, close to the Old Bahama Channel. It is connected with the mainland by a stone road that is 17 km. long.
Used as a hideout by buccaneers in the early colonial period, the island was home to a small settlement of fishermen and charcoal producers until 1955, when the freshwater supply was exhausted and the market for charcoal ended with the spread of electrification after the Cuban Revolution. A causeway was built towards the Cuban mainland in 1988, at the dawn of the era of tourist resort construction. All-inclusive vacations here hold the promise of non-stop excitement and 100% relaxation.