Santa Clara is the capital of the province of Villa Clara, in the country’s most central region. It has a total geographical area of 513.7 sq. km. and a population of 239,091 inhabitants, of which 92.3% is urban. It is an important industrial, commercial and communication center located in a vital road and railway junction. It also has an international airport. It was founded on 15 July 1689 and became a city in 1867. It was taken over militarily by Commander Ernesto “Che” Guevara in December 1958 during the final stage of the struggle for the revolution led by Fidel Castro against Fulgencio Batista y Zaldívar. In the Revolution Square rises the sculpture built by artist José Delarra, dedicated to Ernesto Guevara de la Serna (Che). At the foot of the monument, there is a mausoleum that has kept the remains of the renowned hero since 1997.