Cienfuegos is the smallest province in Cuba, with an economy almost entirely dedicated to growing and processing sugar. Sugar mills and sugarcane plantations dot its landscape. It is located about 250 km. from Havana, and the capital has a population of around 150,000.
Cienfuegos city is dubbed La Perla del Sur (Pearl of the South) due to its beauty and perfectly lined streets. The city was settled by French immigrants from Bordeaux and Louisiana, led by Don Louis D’Clouet, on 22 April 1819. Its original name was Fernardina de Jagua, in honor of King Ferdinand VII of Spain.